Monday, November 3, 2008


Meet Dolly, our new foster.

She is a 3 yr old Saint, who came into rescue with her 6 year old breeding partner. Their old owner died, and a relative took them. She drove them around town in a horse trailer, and the 6 yr old cut the majority of his pads off his feet from the floor of the trailer.. I was sickened when I saw his wounds today, he can hardly walk. Dr Winton had to give him morphine as soon as he arrived. We were all horrified at his condition. He is in good hands though, staying with Dr Winton...she, like myself, is a sucker for the special needs.

They both gave off a horrible smell. Lindsay gave them baths, the water was pure brown. We washed them down several times and the dirt would not stop coming. Disgusting. Anyway, I named our girl Dolly. She is terrified of me, the car, the house, the wind, the leaves, Brian, the leash, the chair moving, the fork I dropped on the floor.. even Deacon senses her fear and has not done any of his usual barking and play bowing, which normally scares the sh*!$ of our fosters ( and rightfully so!). Sadie smelled her and walked away...which if you know Sadie, that is NOT a normal introduction.

She will not leave the corner of our dining room. Deacon keeps checking on her, but she just hangs her head and looks the other direction. I got her a dog bed, but she has no clue what it is, she laid on the floor next to it. I went through Mcdonalds on the way home, hoping a hamburger would entice some sort of physical reaction. She licked it, and than buried her face into the seat. So, I was forced to eat it myself :)

I am sure she will come around. These shy ones are always the most rewarding to work with. Many thanks to Mel Haner who drove from Clovis, NM to meet Lisa Welch in Trinidad, CO to get them to us! Wish us luck. Thank goodness for organization like ours :)

Ps. Brian just walked by and said she is snoring :)

No comments: