Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Out of Pocket

So, I don't think this post can do the actual conversation any justice, but I Am going to give it a shot.

Let me set the scene...Jack is my adorable 9 yr old nephew. In Jack's world, making him talk on the phone is the equivalent of torture. If you force him, he will get on the phone, mumble and speak barely audible words. When are you with him and see him talking to Grandma (who still forces him to perform this unspeakable act), he is pouting, shoulder tiled inwards and he looks like he is in physical pain.

So with that said, here is what happened yesterday ....I was calling my sister on her cell phone and quite surprised when Jack answered..

Jack: Hi Auntie B

Me: Hi Buddy, what are you guys doing (assuming Nik is busy and has asked him to answer the phone for her)

Jack: I just got home from the dentist

Me: Really? How was that?

Jack: Awful. Really, really bad.

Me (smiling at the drama in his voice): Why?

Jack: Well, you know those two teeth that are close together?

Me (having no clue what he is talking about): Yes, I know those teeth

Jack: Well, noone told my mom to tell me to floss, so now I have two cavities.

Me: Oh, that is bad news. Don't worry about it though, it won't hurt to fix.

Jack: Well, I know that, but the really bad news is that there it is going to cost $165 out of pocket!

Me (trying to stifle the laugh at the co-pay talk. Does he even know what that is): Really? That is a lot of money.

Jack: And than, guess what else? You know that white thing on Cooper's gum? It grew back and that is $122 out of pocket!"

Me: (Full blown belly laughing) It's a good thing your mommy and daddy work so hard to pay the bills. You need to start flossing.

Jack: I know, I know. Want to talk to my mom?

When he hands off the phone to Nik, she is surprised to hear me on the other end. Turns out she had no clue he answered her phone. I re tell her the story of our talk and she laughs hysterically. Apparently she was telling my mom the story in the car ride home and Jack was listening.

So to all you parents out there, taking about out of pocket expenses and other juicy things, those little ones are listening!

2 comments:

Happy Fun Pants said...

Awwww...HOW CUTE! :)

And you did it justice perfectly! :)

Unknown said...

That was hilarious! I agree with you, kids always listen to adults talking. That's why my husband and I are constantly on guard about what comes out of our mouth. But what I'm surprised about is the way Jack talked about his dental appointment. It was like he took it lightly and that's he's worried more about the expenses! You must be proud of how he has matured. He's not like my 8 year-old daughter who's unenthusiastic about dental appointments. Even though the dentists in Nashua are all friendly and gentle, she still doesn't like sitting on the dental chair with her mouth open. Good thing her dentist in Nashua knows how to amuse her, so at the end of the day he still gets things done.