Sunday, October 10, 2010

Born in the Heart


Those of us who struggle with infertility often wonder "How many more times can I do this?", and that answer is definitely different for everyone. And, once you've decided that that answer is, you have another tough decision.....than what?

For some, they stop trying, for some they move onto donor eggs, and for some adoption.

Adoption has always been on my mind, I've always loved the idea for as long as I can remember. I have always been perfectly ok with taking the adoption route, but for Brian it has been a bit harder to stomach the fact that we may not be able to have our own genetic baby. He always seemed to wrestle with it a bit more than I did.

Around the time that the adoption talks really began in the BDew house, our good friends Andy & Anita were approved to adopt from an agency in Castle Rock. Three weeks after their approval, and much to their shock & excitement, a gorgeous baby girl was placed in their home.

Brian and I have really enjoyed watching their family grow...albeit literally overnight. It has been amazing to see how their lives have changed by this one sweet little girl. We were all together on the 4th of July, and after they left Brian said "I could do it. I could adopt. Elliotte belongs to them, no matter what! Andy is so happy. I want that!"

So, Miss Elliotte, not only did your change your Mommy & Daddy's life, you also confirmed to The BDews that a family can be created in more ways than one. It was a pretty cool gift you gave us.

We were super excited to celebrate Elliotte's official adoption day (10.8.10) with a great dinner at Miyama! We got her a cute little Snow Globe with "Now I lay me down to sleep..." prayer on it and had the date engraved on it.
Here's to families that are born of the heart!

2 comments:

Happy Fun Pants said...

I've thought of this too - because of my own risks in going into the surgery that I have at the end of this month.

I want to know what it feels like to be pregnant...but I don't want that exclusively.

I know that if I'm never a mom, I just will be missing something.

So whether the baby grows in my uterus or in my heart, s/he will be mine.

Great post - really.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bree! I really have enjoyed reading your blog posts, and how positive you've remained. As an adoptee (with two other brothers who are also adopted as you know) I can tell you with 200% certainty that I am SO lucky to have the family that I do today. And I don't see them as anything other than my mom, dad and brothers and we all love each deeply! I wish you and Brian the best of luck in the process and am so happy that you've considered adoption as an option! I will leave you with this poem that my mom gave to me! Please let me know if I can be of any help or answer any questions!
-Courtney Little

Not flesh of my flesh
Nor bone of my bone
You didn't grow under my heart
but in it