Sunday, August 1, 2010

6495 Happy Canyon Rd

Dear 6495 Happy Canyon Rd, #145,

I bought you in 2000, I was 25 years old. I was so proud of myself...not many other 25 year olds were purchasing new homes.

I put $5000 down on you- something else many 25 yr old's don't have stashed away. And let's be real, if it weren't for my Dad, I wouldn't have either. During the summer of my 17th year, I worked at Mickey D's and saved $1800. At the end of the summer Dad came to me and told me he was going to take my money and invest it...WWIII proceeded. To date, the worst fight I've ever had with my father. Why was he trying to take my hard earned money????

Fast forward to 25 yrs old, and that $1800 had become $5400.

I almost didn't buy you, Unit #145. I almost didn't see any of the potential of huge rooms, walk in closets, two bathrooms and two huge bedrooms. All I saw was teal sinks with brown counter tops. Instead, I loved the tiny 750 sq foot condo that was painted with Ralph Lauren paint....I mean, come on, Ralph Lauren!

Dad came to visit both condos and quickly declared, "Breezer, this is a no brainer. You need to buy the huge condo...everything is just cosmetic. We can fix it." And, never one to shy from my Dad's advice, #145 became my home. Dad moved in with me for 2 weeks to paint, change fixtures, add new doors. To this day my Dad will say" I worked my ass off in that condo!"

You saw me through a lot, #145. I got Bobs and Sades there, I learned how to BBQ all by myself there, I learned about broken furnaces there, I learned about using cheap contractors there, I got to make a home for myself for the first time there. I lived a lot in that condo. I fell in and out of love. I nursed broken hearts on the patio. I broke a few hearts on those old blue couches.

Today, I spent a few hours alone with you as I cleaned you for your new renters. I smiled a few times thinking of old memories. I smiled again when my hubby came over to steam clean the carpets...vividly remembering the many times I sat crying in the family room knowing I would never, ever find a husband.

Hopefully the new renters are kind to you (and pay rent on time).

It was good spending the day with you!

No comments: