Sunday, March 21, 2010

Little House on the Prairie

I have take up doing some pet sitting on the side- extra $$ for fertility treatments, travel and upgrades to our house!

I typically only stay with clients close to my home and work. This weekend though, I ventured out to my friends Hillary & Scott's "farm" in Franktown. 5 Great Danes, a Friends Golden, 2 goats, 4 ducks, 5 guinea birds and 25 chickens. I've always loved this place from afar- quiet, lots of animals, lots of land. I am always on Hillary about getting horses and cows. That would be perfection, in my opinion.

Well, I think after this weekend it has come to my attention that I may not be much of a farm girl. Laura Ingals would be disappointed in me.

A week ago I came out so Hil could show me the feeding routine. I was fine until on my drive out, I saw that she updated her FB status to say that the Rooster tried to attack her! Roosters attack? I had no idea. As we walked the chicken coop, I could hardly listen to her because I was too busy keeping my eye on that damn Rooster. Feed, change water, fill up kiddie pools for duck..blah, blah,blah it was all drowned out by the Rooster. Than Hillary made the deadly sin of telling me that at dusk the mice come out. Holy hell, you better believe I would be feeding much earlier!

The goats are a piece of cake- they are like big dogs and super friendly. Throw them some hay and they are happy.

Friday night I survived the Rooster without issue. It was snowing like crazy, blowing wind and freezing temps.I told Brian I thought I was on "Little House on the Prairie". I walked around the coop with a broom which was my weapon of choice in case of attack. My anxiety was through the roof. But, no mice so I was pretty happy.

Saturday I sailed through the routine, no mice and no attacks. I was getting the hang of this. I happily collected eggs, just like Laura would do.

I headed out to the goats, grabbed a pile of hay..and all hell broke loose. A DAMN MOUSE was in the hay. For those who don't know me, mice are my arch enemy. I despise them, they terrify me, horify me. I threw the hay, started screaming bloody murder and watched as the mouse flew through the air and bounced off the hood of the truck they have in the barn. It scampered away, as I continued to scream. The profanities were immense.

I quickly hurried back to the house to share my disgust with the world. I had to take a shower to get the "dirty" feeling off me. I called Brian who laughed and laughed. I sent Hillary a livid text. She quickly called me, but the only reason I knew it was her was from the Caller ID because she was too busy hysterically, and I mean hysterically, laughing at me to speak.

So, now it is Sunday. Babycakes will be coming out this afternoon to feed the goats for me. I am telling you my fear is irrational, so I love that Brian amuses me and offers to help.

Laura and I may both have red hair, but that may be where our similarities end.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

My years of petsitting in grad school gave me the funniest stories and the most crazy memories. I can just picture you on that farm - what a riot!