Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day


Mother's Day is always special in our family. We pick the perfect card, we pick the perfect gift, we celebrate with a big dinner. I realized I had a lot of extra cards to buy this year...for my mother-n-law, for my sister-n-law in honor of her 1st Mother's Day, and for Trix too.

I looked at this year's celebration a bit differently- maybe it's because I looked at the day in terms of hoping that next year I will be celebrating it, or maybe it's because so many of my friends have new babies, or maybe because of the lingering worry this could be Granny's last Mother's day.

I was definitely more sentimental this year.

The day started with Brian and I going to church. Before walking into church I ran into my good friend Kori, who lost her mom a number of years ago. I couldn't help but wonder what this day means to her.

As we sat down in the church, the pastor said a prayer that made mention of those struggeling to have children of their own (tears popped into my eyes), than a sweet lady told the story of losing her Mother to Alzheimer (tears in the eyes again). I thought I would get by without any tears actually falling, but I happened to look over to Colin, my friend Lindsay's husband, who lost his mother a while back, and saw tears rolling down his face. That was all she wrote! Full blown tears in church.
We ended the day with dinner at Nik's. We had a great time catching up, playing with Baby Kolt, and eating yummy enchiladas.
I am incredibly thankful for the wonderful mother that I have. I am incredibly proud of the mother Nik has become. I am incredibly hopeful that next year we will have a new mommy in the group!


1 comment:

Ella's Mom said...

Thanks again for the card! It was so sweet of you to think of me.

I can totally picture Bri making you breakfast-in-bed next year and him, the twins & all the dogs piling into bed with you while you eat. You may need to get a bigger bed.

xoxo