Friday, May 22, 2009

Gracie Dew

We've done it again. Hospice Dew has reopened.

Gracie is a 7 yr old Great Dane who spent her entire live at a puppy mill. Three months ago, she found her way to a vet clinic in KS, and eventually to our rescue.

When she arrived on Monday, there was a significant leg injury on her hind leg, and she was quickly taken to a vet. By Wednesday we received the news she has terminal cancer.

I had been keeping my eye on Gracie because she reminds me so much of my first Dane, and when I learned she needed a home to live out her days, Hospice Dew opened it's door. We already adore her!

She may have days, maybe weeks. We just aren't sure, but we will closely monitor her quality of life. She still has a lot of spunk in her and is quite the character!

I would be remiss if I didn't thank my WONDERFUL husband, Babycakes. Thanks agreeing to let us come out of foster retirement for a bit. Thank you for understanding how much it means to me to help dogs like Gracie (and Dutch, and Blue and Oz). Thank you knowingly walking into a heartbreak of a situation because you love me so.

3 comments:

Kristie said...

Bree, you and Brian are both so wonderful. Your willingness to open your hearts and your homes to the dogs that have so little time left is so touching. Reading your posts about your fosters is what inspired me to get involved with fostering.

Heidi said...

You two are good people.

Melissa said...

You have such a big heart Bree!