Monday, August 3, 2009

More loss

Our family is very close, and at times I think that closeness can be overwhelming to the "newest" additions, aka Brian and Mike, the men who married into this crazy family. We are in each other's business constantly, we speak on the phone multiple times a day, and turn to one another first in hard times.

A few months ago we were all very saddened to learn that my brother-n-law's mom was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. She fell ill very quickly, and Mike has spent the last few months traveling back and forth to WA to spend time with his family. The stress has been tremendous on him. I've tried to be supportive from a distance because Lord knows the "newest additions" are not conditioned to the constant prying and questions that would typically descend in such a situation. Most of my information has come through Nik, who had me in tears over a recent conversation she had with Mike's mom. In retrospect I am sure Terri was calling to say her "goodbyes", and let Nik know how happy she was that Mike was married to her. Terri left with nothing left unsaid, I think that is pretty cool

Sadly, Terri passed away late Friday night. Even though they knew her death was inevitable, I don't think that makes it any easier. Mike immediately flew to WA to be with his dad, sister and nephews. Nik will follow later this week. Services are at 3pm on Friday.

I cannot even begin to imagine a world without my mom, so I have such a heavy heart for Mike.

I guess this is yet another reminder to not take life for granted and to not leave things unsaid to the ones you love...you just never know.

No comments: