Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Air

So many years ago my friend Galen and I were discussing a friendship I had at the time that took a lot of effort. I was trying to decide if it was even worth it. He was so sick of my complaining and one day coined a phrase that I've held dearly ever since...

"People either give you air, or take your air"

It is simple, it is the truth.

Now, every friendship is give and take. We always take turns holding the other up, but when it stops being a reciprocal relationship, is when it is hard. When you find yourself exhausted after talking to a friend, or ignoring the call because you don't feel like putting on your therapist hat for the 2000 time that week....those are the friends that are taking your air.

I have taken my air very seriously, and have "cut" friends over the years if necessary. Some have come back, some never have. And that is ok too.

But I will say at this point in my life I have pretty phenomenal friends. When Brian and I met he couldn't get over how many good friends I have, separated into all of these little groups from different times in my life.

Last night Brian and I were talking about all of you- and how good you are. This weekend a friend from each segment of my life reached out to us...either in email, text, voicemail or in person to say hi, to bring us a yummy dinner or dessert, to say they are praying for us as we head into our last fertility treatment. Brian looked at me last night and said, "You really have the nicest friends!"....and I smiled....'cause I do!

I am feeling very thankful today for all of you, my friends!

No comments: