Thursday, September 10, 2009

What exactly is Parkinsons Disease?

I get that question a lot. I hate that I am supposed to know the answer. I hate that my Dad was diagnosed with it 5 years ago.

What is Parkinson's disease?
Parkinson's disease is a brain disorder. It occurs when certain nerve cells (neurons) in a part of the brain called the substantia nigra die or become impaired. Normally, these cells produce a vital chemical known as dopamine. Dopamine allows smooth, coordinated function of the body's muscles and movement. When approximately 80% of the dopamine-producing cells are damaged, the symptoms of Parkinson's disease appear


The last year has been a rough one for my Dad as he fights off the affects of this disease. He does not have tremors, but suffers from a shuffled walk, muffled speech and difficulty with his balance.

Watching him go through this has made me spend a lot of time on this website:

http://www.parkinson.org/Page.aspx?pid=201

so I can learn more about what causes it, why it happens and what can we do to help.

Their slogan is "Fighting back, Moving Forward"...which I think is quite appropriate.

There is no cure, but I pray research will find one soon.

If you are looking for a cause to support, please visit their website.

1 comment:

mulloys said...

bree, my dad was diagnosed with this a couple of months ago, it is so tough. Thanks for this post.