Saturday, August 13, 2011

Introduction to L&D

Our first introduction to Labor & Delivery, Floor 5, occured this afternoon. Not by choice, but by a nagging fear something was horribly wrong.

After I was done helping with BDHPI dog food distribution this morning, I followed Lisa nad Corey to grab a late b-fast. As I drove, it dawned on me that I had not felt Baby Girl move since the night before. But I reasonedI had been chatting and running around and not really paying attention, so after we got done eating I went home to relax and wait for those flutters.

Well, I waited and waited. I drank ice water. I called my sis for reassurnace. I texted sis-n-law Becky who advised drinking juice and laying on my left side. I called my mom. Finally, I called the doc.

I didn't want to be that crazy prego lady who was making things up, but the doc quickly explained that this stage in the game I should absolutely feel her move over a 2 hr period and since my window was longer than that to head in to L&D for a fetal check.

I summoned Brian home, I showered, I quickly weighed the chances something could actually be wrong.

We got to the floor, they strapped me in, the RN began to ask her 10,000 questions, when Baby Girl gave me and the monitor, a hard swift kick. And continued to do. I laughed and than apologized for wasting their time each time she did. Baby made a fool out of Mommy.

The nurse reassured me it was best to come in. We also got the good news that baby's heart is functioning at the age of a 32 week old baby, not the 29 weeks she. What an advanced girl we have!

As we sat in the L&D room, I got a big dose of reality as I couldn't help but think of my impending labor. And, I am not going to lie, anxiety kicked in a bit. The room, the cabinets that I know "hide" all of the "tools", the baby warming bed. Excitement mixed with total dread.

I certainly hope I don't see that room for another 10 weeks but those images are hard to get out of my nervous head.

1 comment:

Mike, Ally, Ella, Deegan & Cullen said...

Bree-
Don't feel like an idiot! Same thing happened to me and Ella was born four hours later! The one thing about pregnancy is that it teaches us to pay very close attention to our bodies! You did exactly the right thing! So excited to hear about when baby girl actually gets to meet you face to face!