Friday, May 20, 2011

Dad


A week ago today we spent the day together as a family at the Colorado Springs Police Department, honoring the great work my Dad as Chief. While Dad sat with the upper tier of Officers for coffee, the rest of us were taken on a tour of the facility. It was so amazing to see the affect my Dad had on so many people's lives.

Today, I sit here at my parents home waiting for my Dad to pass. Nik and I got the call on Wednesday to come home as that Dad had taken a turn for the worse. When I got here on Wednesday I honestly thought that was it. I was shocked at the decline in such a few days.

The emotions of the last two days have been unreal. When I got here on Wednesday afternoon things were pretty bad. Dad was quite confused and than slept to 10pm. When he woke up, Mom, Nik, Mike and I were all there. He was completely lucid. We had a meaningful conversation. Mom told it was ok to go, he said he was ready. He held and kissed my hand. He said he would miss us. He reached out his arms to hold Nik and I. We sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. Choking cries were echoing through their room.

We also were able to tell Dad that we are naming our daughter after him, Sydney James Dew. Tears streamed down his face as we told him.

It was the most deeply meaningful night of my life.

Dad continues to fight his battle, but we are all praying for a peaceful passing for this man that we all adore. We don't want him to suffer. We don't want him to be in pain. Mom keeps saying, "In God's time.....", which we all know to be true.

If you are reading this, call your parents today. Tell them you love them. You never know how many more opportunities you will have.

No comments: