Saturday, April 26, 2008

Throw away Dane...


It came to my attention this week that there was a 11yr old Dane in a shelter in Alamosa...dropped off by a family who no longer wanted him. How can people be like that? Why do people think dogs are disposable...and why on Earth, would a family have a dog for 11 years and than decide they no longer wanted him?

Last night as we were driving home from dinner, Brian asked "Do you want to go to Alamosa tomorrow?". Clearly we have no business taking on another dog, but I was so relieved when I heard those words come of our Brian's mouth!

So off to Alamosa we went today- 450 miles round trip! We met a beautiful blue boy named Blue (yes, not very original), and his poor body shows every ounce of his 11 years. That said, he happily bounced along on our walk, not knowing his poor body is failing him.

Once he was in our car, he became a little scared and still is. He is not too sure of us, or the other dogs, but Brian has tucked him in on a dog bed where is resting comfortably. I think he is thankful for a soft bed.

Thankfully RMGDRI has agreed to bring this boy under the rescue's wing, and have graciously allowed for Brian and I to keep as a permanent foster. My house is known as the "hospice house", and I figure one more can't hurt!!

What is most troubeling to me though, are all the dog we left behind. I was only on my third kennel of pups before the tears started! It is such a small town, and way too many dogs in need of homes. The kennel staff clearly loves the dogs, but their financial funds are minimal. It just broke my heart.

At the end of the day, I am not quite sure if Blue has much time with us, but we are willing to give him love for the time he has left!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You two are amazing and have hearts of gold. Bless little Blue's heart!